Re: Any big slony and WAL shipping users?

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Any big slony and WAL shipping users?
Date: 2008-01-02 16:40:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 12:06:42PM -0500, Josh Harrison wrote:
> I also thought abt having 2 setups for backup and replication so that even
> when slony fails I will always have the standby server (WAL shipping) to
> help me out.

Ok, but do realise that what this form of redundancy provides you with is
two independent paths for different kinds of failure. It may also mean you
have more complicated troubleshooting procedures. I'm not advising not to
do it; I'm rather advising you to think carefully about what problems you
think you're solving, and what potential problems you are adding by taking
this approach.

> I have another question regarding this. I also want to write these to the
> tape. Right now we have a cron job doing level 0,1,2,... backups of the
> other servers to the tape regularly. What is the good way to include
> postgres server backup to tape?

If you're going to use WAL shipping anyway, then I'd do fairly regular full
backups plus WAL archiving. This is outlined completely in the manual in
section 23.3.