Re: Spoofing as the postmaster

From: Kurt Roeckx <kurt(at)roeckx(dot)be>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tomasz Ostrowski <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl>
Subject: Re: Spoofing as the postmaster
Date: 2007-12-23 21:13:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 02:52:28PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce summarized the problem pretty well when he said that if Postgres
> > is being run as a non-root user then one non-root user's "postgres" is
> > as good as any other non-root user's "postgres".
>
> "Problem"? What we mustn't lose sight of is that that's not a bug but
> a feature. It would be completely inappropriate for us as upstream to
> destroy that property, and my fundamental objection to what Debian
> has done is that they've destroyed that property at the distro level.
>
> I have no problem with the admin for a single installation putting in
> things that prevent there being more than one postmaster on that
> machine. I just say that software distribution time is not the place
> for such restrictions.

The default postgresql.conf in Debian contains a line like this:
unix_socket_directory = '/var/run/postgresql'

I don't understand what restriction you mean. What was changed is the
default location of the unix domain socket. If you still want it in
/tmp, you can put it there.

I think there are basicly two reasons to move it:
- It's insecure, as this thread shows
- The FHS says the they should be placed in /var/run/, probably
for the first reason.

Kurt