Can Oracle do what PostgreSQL can?

From: "R(dot)P(dot) Aditya" <aditya(at)grot(dot)org>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Can Oracle do what PostgreSQL can?
Date: 2007-12-13 02:13:27
Lists: sfpug
I'm used to being able to consult the pg_stat_{all,user}_tables and look at
the statistics, like:

 seq_scan,
 seq_tup_read,
 idx_scan,
 idx_tup_fetch,
 n_tup_ins,
 n_tup_upd,
 n_tup_del

and poll them every 5 minutes to get near-realtime trending -- it seems that
Oracle only keeps DML update and index access stats in tables like
all_tab_modifications, but the data is only updated per table when statistics
are gathered per table -- in some cases the threshold is 10% of the rows have
changed, so for very large tables it could be a long time, so I can't depend
on the near-realtimeness...

I know this is the "opposite" forum for asking a question about Oracle, but I
can't even seem to construct searches in google that lead me to info about
Oracle pertaining to this -- perhaps if I ask of PostgreSQL folks, who know
what I'm saying, they'll have suggestions?

Thanks,
Adi

sfpug by date

Next:From: R.P. AdityaDate: 2007-12-13 03:17:13