Re: [HACKERS] BUG #3799: csvlog skips some logs

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, depesz <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] BUG #3799: csvlog skips some logs
Date: 2007-12-11 15:28:50
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
> > Another change I did was to change a "%.*s" to "%*s".  The "precision"
> > marker seems useless AFAICT.
> This is wrong, broken, will cause crashes on platforms where the PS
> string is not null-terminated.  (Hint: .* is a maximum width, * is a
> minimum width.)

Oh, OK.

> Another thing I thought strange was the order of the added columns;
> why isn't it more like the order in which they appear in the text
> version?  In particular hint should probably come just after detail
> and before context, and internal-query should also come before context
> because when relevant it's usually more closely nested than the context
> stack.

Ok, I changed it like you suggest.  I didn't do any other order changes.
I still propose that the log line number should be moved w.r.t. session

I changed two more things: the VXID is not reported if not in a backend
(because AuxiliaryProcesses are said to never have one), and added
quotes surrounding the hostname, because in a test here it seems
supported to create an alias for my loopback interface with a name like

Alvaro Herrera
"All rings of power are equal,
But some rings of power are more equal than others."
                                 (George Orwell's The Lord of the Rings)