Re: [DOCS] Pattern for use of the alias "Postgres"

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Pattern for use of the alias "Postgres"
Date: 2007-10-25 21:25:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-docs
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > > Woah, let's be very clear here. There was zero agreement to promote
> > > the name postgres. There was agreement to state that Postgres was an
> > > acceptable form of the word PostgreSQL.
> > >
> > > Which I do still agree with, but that is far from "promoting".
> >
> > Here is a thread where I propose the "promoting" idea and general
> > agreement on it:
> >
> > 	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2007-09/msg00257.php
> >
> > and here is where I think you are agreeing to do such promotion in the
> > FAQ, at least:
> >
> > 	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2007-09/msg00279.php
>
> No. That was me stating that the current FAQ stating that Postgres was
> an acceptable form of PostgreSQL was enough. Which I do still agree
> with.

OK, I misunderstood then.  I was asking where to promote it and you were
saying just the FAQ which I thought meant promote usage in the FAQ.
Sorry.

> I have stated that *if* we were going to make wholesale documentation
> changes that we should do it in the form of PostgreSQL, hereafter known
> as Postgres...
>
> I don't like it but I believe it would be a fair compromise.

Yea, I think so.  If we make that change we could go until 8.4 beta and
then see how we are doing with making an easily-prounced alias name.  We
might need to make no further changes, or we might want to change it
back for some reason.

I will give another 1-2 days for feedback on the "pattern" usage issue.
So far I think everyone so far has said they like just a first mention
of PostgreSQL in the document and then Postgres in the rest of the
document _if_ we are going to do that.

Then I will start a new thread to ask about actually doing that change.

I thought the second-in-paragraph style was minimal because it is like,
e.g. "Bill Cohen was caught stealing.  Cohen was seen under the bushes
on Cobbs Lane.".  Or with Coke, "Coca-cola is expense.  Coke is also bad
for you".  But it seems people don't like that usage in practice.

(FYI, I see some "Postgres" mentions have gotten in the 8.3 release
notes already from Tom.  I will have to adjust those once we make a
final decision, but you can see how it looks now.)