Re: initdb of regression test failed.

From: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb of regression test failed.
Date: 2007-10-03 03:11:04
Lists: pgsql-patches
"Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp> wrote:

> The database cluster will be initialized with locale Japanese_Japan.932.
> initdb: locale Japanese_Japan.932 requires unsupported encoding SJIS
> Encoding SJIS is not allowed as a server-side encoding.
> -
> I think that the check of this server side is the right action.!
> I desire the further suggestion....

How about changing initdb to use encoding=UTF-8 and no-locale when the
encoding of default locale is not suppoted in the server? I think it is
the most frequently used combination when we cannot use the default
encoding in server.

The present initdb without options always fails in such environments.
Using UTF-8 with no-locale is better than error.
(Error is better than using wrong locale, though.)

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center