Re: Suggestion for MSVC build

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Suggestion for MSVC build
Date: 2007-09-25 09:38:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 02:58:54AM -0400, Chuck McDevitt wrote:
> Actually, the more I look at it, I realize it was correct before
>
> We want to link against readline.lib and history.lib, but the ones in
> the GnuWin32 distribution are broken.
> The .lib files are made from the .def files, which are supposed to list
> the exports, but don't.
>
> They can be made from commands like this:
>
> lib /machine:i386 /def:readline.def
> lib /machine:i386 /def:history.def
>
> But that only works if the .def files list the routines you want
> exported.
>
> It's easy enough to add the few we use by hand, but I'm not sure why
> they aren't there.
> Adding them, running those lib commands, allowed me to link with no
> errors or warnings.
>
> Maybe I need to do some research on readline... this seems more
> complicated than I expected.
> Does no one else use readline on Windows? Is the Gnuwin32 readline a
> fraud? I just don't know.

The libs for MSVC are certainly broken. I've filed a bug with the gnuwin32
project, though I'm unsure if they'll fix it (the other bug filed against
readilne has been open since march 2006 with no comment).
(http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1801880&group_id=23617&atid=379173)

Can you check if your manually linked version works in non-US locales? If
you can't check, can you email me (offlist) with the binary (and the DLLs)
and I can run a test here. If they *have* fixed the issue so it works in
non-US locales, it's certainly worth expending some time making it work...

//Magnus