Re: Advice on MyXactMade* flags, MyLastRecPtr,pendingDeletes and lazy XID assignment

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Postgresql-Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Advice on MyXactMade* flags, MyLastRecPtr,pendingDeletes and lazy XID assignment
Date: 2007-08-31 01:19:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > -1 to second: If there are any temporary deleted files then it is
> > because we've done a large sort, hash join etc, so avoiding the sync
> > makes no difference to the overall response time.
>
> I think you're confused, actually: this is not about temporary sort
> files, it's about dropping temp relations.  The scenario for this to
> happen in ABORT is a rollback of a transaction that made a temp table.

Why don't we create temp tables in a separate directory, anyway?  That
would make it trivially easy to get rid of them during recovery: just
zap all the files in there.

--
Alvaro Herrera                         http://www.flickr.com/photos/alvherre/
Essentially, you're proposing Kevlar shoes as a solution for the problem