Re: Final status of projects?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-students(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Final status of projects?
Date: 2007-08-30 02:53:56
Lists: pgsql-students

On Wednesday 29 August 2007 18:13, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I'm very happy with what has been achieved, but we really should regard
> > this as research and not committable code. In this case, the idea of
> > "pencils down" doesn't make any sense.
>
> Full Ack. The fact that what I do now won't be part of the "official SoC
> outcome" anyway just made it easier for me to justify my little "lazy
> XID assignment" detour.

It's worth remembering that one of the potential uses of the SoC is for things
just like this; researching a development avenue that otherwise no one would
have the time/energy to investigate. Even if you don't end up with anything
worth implementing directly related to your topic, if you've pushed forward
the ideas in this area and can come up with ancillary benefits, I think that
should be considered quite a success.

--
Robert Treat