Re: [SPAM] Re: BUG #3484: Missing pg_clog file / corrupt index

From: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, Feng Chen <fchen(at)covergence(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Marc Schablewski <ms(at)clickware(dot)de>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: BUG #3484: Missing pg_clog file / corrupt index
Date: 2007-08-28 23:46:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 05:56:29PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 10:06:56AM -0400, Feng Chen wrote:
> > > VERSION = PostgreSQL 8.1.2
> >
> > You know that the project doesn't put out maintenance releases for
> > the fun of it, right? The latest is 8.1.9 in that series. You need
> > to upgrade.
>
> We moved the "you should upgrade for all minor releases" from FAQ text
> to a link to our web site:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning
>
> The problem is that instead of those words being in the FAQ, they are
> now linked from the FAQ, and I am concerned that fewer people are seeing
> that recommendation.

I think the backend should spew WARNINGs with increasing frequency if
it's more than 2 point releases old. And it should refuse to start if
it's more than 5.</sarcasm>

Seriously, I doubt anything short of that will make a big difference,
but certainly putting the actual verbage back in the FAQ can't hurt.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby decibel(at)decibel(dot)org