Re: mysql proxy

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mysql proxy
Date: 2007-08-28 13:41:25
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 11:15:32AM +0200, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> But something I am not so sure about is stuff like:
> - app independent read/write splitting for master/slave setups

There is more than one replication system that does this sort of
thing already.  They all have the same problem: what do you do when
something commits on one box and fails on the other?  In such a case,
you lose consistency.  You could of course do it with two phase
commit; but if you're going to pay that cost, then you don't need
this additional scripting language thing anyway.

> - app independent auditing

You could do some of this with the query logs.  But. . .

> Both of the above can be done in postgresql of course using triggers,
> but you would at the very least need to modify the app schema to add the
> triggers ..

. . .yes.  And I don't think that's a bad thing: auditing, if it's
needed, should be designed into an application, not something that
you hang on the side.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.  What do you do sir?
		--attr. John Maynard Keynes