Re: The naming question WAS: Theme of this release: Performance?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The naming question WAS: Theme of this release: Performance?
Date: 2007-08-26 18:43:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Folks,

My perspective on the naming question is that if we wanted to do it, we needed
to do it for 8.0 which was when PostgreSQL became much higher profile.  We
did seriously evaluate it at that time, but the amount of effort involved
would have held up the release and we decided not to.

It is still the case that changing the name would involve a lot of tedious
effort and hunting down references.  Also, we don't have nearly as good
control of the various postgres.* domains as we do of postgresql.*.
(notably, postgres.net belongs to some unknown individual who refuses to sell
it to me).

Overall, I'd say that the advantages of changing the name don't balance the
effort involved in doing so.  That's a very qualitative judgement though, and
if there was overwhelming support in the community, *including* several
volunteers to help do the work, I'd certainly re-consider my stance.

Also note that I was chatting with Kaj Arno at OSCON, and he was bitching
about people mispronouncing "MySQL".  So don't assume that shortening our
name would necessarily help ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun