Re: Re: [Oledb-dev] double precision error with pg linux server, but not with windows pg server

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Shachar Shemesh <shachar(at)shemesh(dot)biz>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, oledb-devel(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [Oledb-dev] double precision error with pg linux server, but not with windows pg server
Date: 2007-05-21 13:23:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Montag, 21. Mai 2007 07:04 schrieb Shachar Shemesh:
> In other words, if I offer a
> format that is assured of preserving both mantissa and exponent
> precision and range, as well as all extra attributes (+/-Infinity and
> NaN), but does not guarantee that the semantically identical constructs
> are told apart (+0 vs. -0, and the different NaNs), would that format be
> acceptable?

I don't think so. We have fought many years to get closer to IEEE 754
conformance. I don't think we want to throw that away without a good
reason. "I want to use the binary format but I don't like what it does." is
not a good enough reason in my mind. For one thing, I'd want to see some
performance measurements.

--
Peter Eisentraut