Re: strange problem with ip6

From: Christian Kratzer <ck-lists(at)cksoft(dot)de>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Brian Hirt <bhirt(at)mobygames(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: strange problem with ip6
Date: 2007-05-17 17:29:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 06:42:39PM +0200, Christian Kratzer wrote:
>> of a specific interface. This is why bsd based oprating systems append
>> %ifname to the address so that they know which Interface this address
>
> Oh, I forgot about that wart in RFC4007. Thanks for the cluestick.
>
>> There is propbaly not much point in using link local addreses for postgres.
>
> I think that's not quite right. For instance, JDBC can't use UNIX
> domain sockets last I checked, and I can imagine using it in a
> disconnected context where you'd want to emulate multiple connection
> points. Link local addresses would be perfect for this. So I think
> it might be a bug, because Postgres isn't accepting the address
> specification for scoped addresses. (In the local 8.1.x version I
> have installed here, the inet type doesn't accept it either.) Now
> that I re-read it, RFC4007 seems to be pretty clear that the scope
> info is a necessary part of the addressing, so I don't think it can
> be thrown away before looking at the address.

supporting scoped addresses could have their uses but then again
theres nothing stopping you to bind multiple global ipv6 addresses
to your loopback interface which would work fine for disconnected
setups and it might be a bit cleaner.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer CK Software GmbH
Email: ck(at)cksoft(dot)de Schwarzwaldstr. 31