Re: Managing the community information stream

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Managing the community information stream
Date: 2007-05-15 22:29:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 01:18:42PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > In Debian's bug tracking system, when the bug is created (which is done
> > by sending an email to a certain address) it gets a number, and the
> > email is distributed to certain lists. People can then reply to that
> > mail, and send messages to 12345(at)bugs(dot)debian(dot)org and it gets tracked in
> > the bug, and you can see all those messages in the bug report. I
> > ass-ume that BZ 3.0 does something similar.
>
> But often a TODO item has multiple threads containing details (often
> months apart), and it isn't obvious at the time the thread is started
> that this will happen. Note the number of TODO items that now have
> multiple URLs. How is that handled?

Worst-case, for those cases we add URLs to the tracker manually like you
do now. The big advantage is that most of the time that's not needed.
And in cases where it's not automatic we can grant any number of people
permission to add that information to the tracker, because that
permission wouldn't be tied to CVS commit privs.
--
Jim Nasby decibel(at)decibel(dot)org