which distro, or to build

From: David Bear <David(dot)Bear(at)asu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: which distro, or to build
Date: 2007-03-21 00:50:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm getting really mad at RHEL 4. They do not package a recent
postgres in the base distro, and only put 8.1.x in a disk call
lamp-beta... So now I wonder what a 'recommended' way of running
postgresql is -- meaning, any linux distro will do, just build it --
or is there any particular distro that 'does the right thing' with
postgresql... meaning, they package recent versions and keep them
updated with security fixes...

I was using Suse 9.3 . They did a pretty good job -- at least they
included pg 8.0 and kept it updated. RHEL just stinks. I suppose a
I've come to like the way yast keeps packages together, helps resolve
dependancies, etc. I switch to RHEL for 'enterprise' reasons. There is
some central support for it though I have yet to figure out if that
extends beyond just buying a site license for it..

Anyway, I'd appreciate any pointers on which system seems to be best
suited for making life easier for a pg system admin.

btw, I have run pg on FreeBSD as well, and relied on the ports
maintainers to keep things updated. cvsupdate seemed to work
reasonably well for this.

Any advice? use packages.. build.. or ?
--
David Bear