BUG #3115: backend died abnormally HELP!!

From: "Bryan O'Neill" <smartalarm(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #3115: backend died abnormally HELP!!
Date: 2007-03-06 15:40:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      3115
Logged by:          Bryan O'Neill
Email address:      smartalarm(at)mindspring(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 7.2.3
Operating system:   Redhat 8.0
Details:

On 3/4/07, I received the following message from the subject pc:
"NOTICE:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
I have rolled back the current transaction and am
going to terminate your database system connection and exit.  Please
reconnect to the database system and repeat your query."  I think this
happened on 1/27/07 also but I don't recall getting the error message
although I could not access the database until after a cold restart.  This
pc has run postgresql without any trouble since Nov. 2003, until the last
few weeks.  One other thing I note was that the /var partition was 98% full!
 I think this may have been the source of the error.  How can I be sure?
Please advise.  Thanks in advance,

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Kris JurkaDate: 2007-03-06 16:49:05