Re: SCMS question

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Warren Turkal <wt(at)penguintechs(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SCMS question
Date: 2007-02-26 21:18:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday 26 February 2007 14:57, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> > FWIW ClearCase also offers a command line version of its merge tool,
> > where it shows three columns (a la diff --side-by-side) and allows you to
> > pick which column you want to merge in (repo, change1, or change2 for
> > example). It's a nice attempt at doing it on the command line, but the
> > graphical version is so much better it's worth it to work out remote X
> > and use that instead :-)
>
> If ClearCase is held up as a model SCM system the God help us.

As much as I deride ClearCase in my daily life, I would say ClearCases
graphical merge tools are better than what CVS gives you. That isn't saying
much though...

> True story: a few years back I had a team that where some of them had
> been using ClearCase, and when they joined our team switched to CVS. A
> few months later the company made a company-wide decision to standardise
> on ClearCase. Within weeks I had them begging and pleading with me to be
> allowed to go back to CVS.

True story: a few years back I was on a team that used CVS. Then our company
made a company-wide decision to standardise on ClearCase. Within weeks we
were begging and pleading to be allowed to go back to CVS. :-)

--
Robert Treat