Seeking Google SoC Mentors

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-students(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Seeking Google SoC Mentors
Date: 2007-02-26 21:11:39
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-students
The next Summer of Code is just around the corner.

Last year, we had 46 submissions and seven we accepted.  Out of the SoC we got
two ongoing contributors, several good patches, two code refactors and even
an employee for a PostgreSQL company.  I'd like to see us do the same this
year!

Therefore, we need volunteer mentors.  Here's how it works:

-- You help review and rate submissions in March.
-- From May-August, you mentor one or two SoC students in working on
PostgreSQL patches.  This means that you must be readily available to your
student(s) during this summer and have time (2-5 hours per week, more at the
beginning) to coach them.
-- You need to evaluate the student's progress both midsummer and on
completion.
-- You prepare the student code for submission as an 8.4 feature, if
applicable.
-- Around October, Google gives SPI $500 for your mentoring.  You can choose
to take this money (less transaction fees) or leave it as a donation.  You
also get a nifty t-shirt.

We're looking for mentors who are:
	-- patient
	-- available
	-- knowledgeable in depth in some particular area/add-in to PostgreSQL
	-- interested in reviewing student code
	-- interested in helping create the next generation of contributors

Particularly we'd like people who can mentor on:
	-- PostgreSQL internals
	-- GIS
	-- applications & client tools
	-- advanced indexing
	-- XML
	... based on last year's submissions, but there will be more this year.

Also, I am looking for contacts at universities where I can direct notices
when SoC opens.

E-mail me ASAP.

--
Josh Berkus