Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp
Date: 2007-02-03 22:20:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck wrote:
> I don't have any such paper and the proof of concept will be the
> implementation of the system. I do however see enough resistance against
> this proposal to withdraw the commit timestamp at this time. The new
> replication system will therefore require the installation of a patched,
> non-standard PostgreSQL version, compiled from sources cluster wide in
> order to be used. I am aware that this will dramatically reduce it's
> popularity but it is impossible to develop this essential feature as an
> external module.
>
> I thank everyone for their attention.

Going and working on it on your own doesn't seem like the proper
solution. I don't see people objecting to adding it, but they want it
work, which I am sure you want too. You have to show how it will work
and convince others of that, and then you have a higher chance it will
work, and be in the PostgreSQL codebase.

--
Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us