Re: possible copyright infringement against postgresql writers, bloggers, and advocates

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: possible copyright infringement against postgresql writers, bloggers, and advocates
Date: 2007-01-21 17:56:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Robert,

> Ah, I understand where you're going. Not necesarily, I'm refering to
> articles that have been posted on websites for profit. The website I speak
> of datamines as many copyrighted articles it can find off the internet and
> not just reference documentation. Dru's articles, for instance, have
> definitely not been BSD licensed and O'Reilly certaintly doesn't do that
> i.e. somebody is making money from other people's work.

In that case, you should verify that they are actually reprinting the entire
articles (and not just indexing them, which is legal) and the individual
copyright holders should go after them (Dru, Elein, O'Reilly).   In the event
that someone needs legal advice PostgreSQL has a relationship with a
Copyright/Patent/Licensing attorney in San Francisco.

For my non-ITToolbox stuff, it's all BSD or OPL licensed which would make even
reprinting 100% legal as long as they keep my name on it.  The fact that I
had a lot more hits than Elein (who has written a lot more articles than me)
is some indication that they're paying attention to licensing.  If they are
reprinting my ITToolbox stuff, I'd just turn it over to ITToolBox's attorneys
(which is probably what Dru should do).

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun