Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO: Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside
Date: 2006-12-28 17:57:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is this really a TODO or is this someone being overzealous with the TODO
> list?

>  Add a GUC to control whether BEGIN inside a transcation should abort
> the transaction.

Well, right now, BEGIN inside a transaction just issues a warning:

	test=> BEGIN;
	BEGIN
	test=> BEGIN;
	WARNING:  there is already a transaction in progress
	BEGIN
	test=> SELECT 1;
	 ?column?
	        1
	(1 row)

	test=> COMMIT;
	COMMIT

I think you can make the case that this should be an error, or at least
that's how it got on the TODO list.  I can always remove it if people
don't want the item completed.

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce(at)momjian(dot)us