Re: PlanetPG on the home page

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PlanetPG on the home page
Date: 2006-12-21 21:11:36
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thursday 21 December 2006 14:10, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 13:58 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> > > The way to do that is to have PlanetPG pick a different feed from
> > > your site. To get that done, email Devrim and tell him which
> > > category to pick up - at least on people.planetpostgresql.org each
> > > category gets it's own RSS feed.
> >
> > Another option is to switch to some smarter planet aggregation
> > software.
>
> Why this is another option? We can pick up any category we want with the
> current sw.

This assumes that the blogger will have postgresql specific feeds. For
example, if I wanted to ditch my current feed split and switch to all tagged
entries, I'd have to make sure there was a feed for a specific tag (which I
dont think s9y does by default).

> > I've looked at two solutions (one php based and one ruby based) and
> > would be willing to give one a real trial if people were interested.
>
> How do they differ from planetplanet code?

Basically they do some keyword searching and other magical algorithmic
searches for posts related to your specified topic.

they are also wirtten in languages we all know (php) and love (ruby) (swap
those to taste) :-)

--
Robert Treat