Re: On what we want to support: travel?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: On what we want to support: travel?
Date: 2006-10-31 23:11:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Can you explan why? I'm not clear on your priorities.

Some of the popular items such as travel and promotional materials are
primarily suitable for recruiting new users. But that doesn't really
do anything for our existing users, who, by the way, are likely to be
the primary source of donations.

> Please note that the TPC thing was just a hypothetical extreme
> example, since as an NPO we can join TPC for $1500 per year. On the
> other hand, it's a good example, because a TPC membership does us no
> good if nobody attends the TPC meetings ... which gets us into paying
> for travel again.

A TPC membership would give us the ability to actually do the
benchmarks. I don't know if attendance at any meeting is required for
that.

But that would be travel for the purpose of enhancing PostgreSQL rather
than for the purpose of advocating to potential users.

--
Peter Eisentraut