Re: Optimizing disk throughput on quad Opteron

From: John Philips <johnphilips42(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Ben Suffolk <ben(at)vanilla(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optimizing disk throughput on quad Opteron
Date: 2006-10-23 12:16:37
Lists: pgsql-performance
> The thing I would ask is would you not be better
> with SAS drives?
>
> Since the comments on Dell, and the highlighted
> issues I have been
> looking at HP and the the Smart Array P600
> controller with 512 BBWC.
> Although I am looking to stick with the 8 internal
> disks, rather than
> use external ones.
>
> The HP Smart Array 50 is the external array for SAS
> drives. Not
> really looked into it much though.

Ben,

The Smart Array 50 supports a maximum of 10 disks and
has a single I/O module, while the Smart Array 30
supports up to 14 disks and can be configured with a
dual I/O module.

I was under the assumption that SAS runs at the same
speed as Ultra320, in which case the Smart Array 30 is
a better bet...

Thanks for your feedback.