Re: postgresql db account

From: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>
To: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgresql db account
Date: 2006-10-05 12:54:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 08:21:04AM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
> If you don't remember it, set up to use trust on the local machine, log in,
> and then change the password.

Remember it?

The implication from your statement is that it is ok to change the pw.
Again, my real question was what is the default pw. I'll see if I can
read through the code today.

As stated by someone, it depends on how the db was created. I'm walking
through Worsley and Drake and they said to do this: initdb -D /datadir
That is how this pup was created.

The initdb doc says:

-U username
--username=username

Selects the user name of the database superuser. This defaults to
the name of the effective user running initdb. It is really not
important what the superuser's name is, but one might choose to keep
the customary name postgres, even if the operating system user's
name is different.

-W --pwprompt

Makes initdb prompt for a password to give the database superuser. If
you don't plan on using password authentication, this is not
important. Otherwise you won't be able to use password authentication
until you have a password set up.

This answers my question, is it ok to set the pw. Seems like a good idea
to set the username as well. There's probably all kinds of good things
to do like this that I have not found....