Re: [HACKERS] timestamptz alias

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] timestamptz alias
Date: 2006-10-03 16:47:16
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Moving to -docs

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 12:13:46PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> >Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com> writes:
> >
> >>Here's a small patch that adds an appropriate explanation.
> >>

> >If we're going to document these aliases, what of float4, float8, and bool?
> >Also, although the docs mention int2/int4/int8, it's more or less left
> >to the reader's imagination to deduce what they are.
> >
> >Perhaps it'd be better to provide a small table of recognized type
> >aliases, rather than inserting equivalent notes into three or four places.
> >

> you mean like the table here?
> http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/datatype.html

An issue I've seen with the docs is that for chapters that have a lot of
sections (such as 8), the section list at the start of each chapter
fills the screen, so it's easy to miss the fact that there's more info
beneath the list (which is wy presumably most folks never knew that
table existed).

I think the ideal way to handle this would be to put the table of
contents in a side-bar and flow the text around it. But that could be a
real bear to do in docbook/sgml, so perhaps it would be better to just
force the TOC for each chapter onto it's own page (and ensure the
overview/introduction text shows up in the TOC).
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net