Re: Problems with inconsistant query performance.

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
Cc: Matthew Schumacher <matt(dot)s(at)aptalaska(dot)net>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with inconsistant query performance.
Date: 2006-09-28 16:15:49
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 11:28:43AM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

> > What I really need is a way to profile my proc when it runs slow so that
> > I can resolve which of the queries is really slow.  Anyone with an idea
> > on how to do this?
> You could turn on statement logging and duration logging.  This would
> give you a record of when things run and how long they take.  A little
> work analyzing should show you which queries are running when your
> favorite query slows down.

By default, that doesn't help you debug what's happening inside a
function, because you only get the call to the function. I don't know if
you can increase verbosity to combat that.

Something else to consider is that gettimeofday() on some platforms is
painfully slow, which could completely skew all your numbers.
EnterpriseDB      512.569.9461 (cell)