Re: Problems with inconsistant query performance.

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
Cc: Matthew Schumacher <matt(dot)s(at)aptalaska(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with inconsistant query performance.
Date: 2006-09-28 16:15:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 11:28:43AM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

> > What I really need is a way to profile my proc when it runs slow so that
> > I can resolve which of the queries is really slow. Anyone with an idea
> > on how to do this?
>
> You could turn on statement logging and duration logging. This would
> give you a record of when things run and how long they take. A little
> work analyzing should show you which queries are running when your
> favorite query slows down.

By default, that doesn't help you debug what's happening inside a
function, because you only get the call to the function. I don't know if
you can increase verbosity to combat that.

Something else to consider is that gettimeofday() on some platforms is
painfully slow, which could completely skew all your numbers.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net