Re: Group By problem

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: kmi(at)st(dot)uz
Subject: Re: Group By problem
Date: 2006-09-26 10:36:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thursday 21 September 2006 03:06, kmi(at)st(dot)uz wrote:
> I have such problem:
> need to get full record from a table that fits my conditions
>
> SELECT * FROM groups WHERE grouptype=7 GROUP BY groupid HAVING
> max(datecreate)>'2006-09-01'
>
> Postgres tells i should group all fields but this fields have only same
> groupid field value, and i need get full record. This must be a common
> problem i think. How can i solve this?

I can't tell from you SQL statement what you are trying to do. Does this do
what you want?

SELECT * FROM groups WHERE grouptype=7 and datecreate>'2006-09-01'
order by groupid;

If not, then perhaps you need to use a subquery to get the primary key for the
rows that you want and then select those from the master table.

Sean