Re: This approach to non-ASCII names does not work

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, yazicivo(at)ttnet(dot)net(dot)tr
Subject: Re: This approach to non-ASCII names does not work
Date: 2006-09-22 17:17:29
Lists: pgsql-docs
That makes a lot of sense.  The encoding mentioned in the HTML is how
high-bit characters are treated in the HTML, and doesn't control what
entities it supports.

However, I am confused how non-Latin users can use SGML if it does not
support UTF8 entities.  I see this flag in openjade:

	  -b, --encoding=NAME         Use encoding NAME for output.

but I assume it is only for how to treat the high bits in the file, not
for entity recognition.

I IM'ed with Peter and he said SGML Docbook just doesn't support UTF8
easily, so I am reverting Volkan YAZICI's name to be ASCII (he requested
an all-uppercase last name if we can't use the proper symbol), and
documented we can only use HTML4 entities, and updated the URLs we
should use for reference.  I have the official URL and URLs that show
the actual symbols too, which is helpful.

If people have names that contain HTML4 symbols, please let me know so I
can add the symbols:

	http://www.zipcon.net/~swhite/docs/computers/browsers/entities_page.html

--
  Bruce Momjian   bruce(at)momjian(dot)us