Re: Update on high concurrency OLTP application and Postgres 8 tuning

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update on high concurrency OLTP application and Postgres 8 tuning
Date: 2006-09-20 11:07:31
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 11:09:23AM +0200, Cosimo Streppone wrote:

> I scheduled a cron job every hour or so that runs an analyze on the
> 4/5 most intensive relations and sleeps 30 seconds between every
> analyze.
>
> This has optimized db response times when many clients run together.
> I wanted to report this, maybe it can be helpful for others
> out there... :-)

This suggests to me that your statistics need a lot of updating.  You
_might_ find that setting the statistics to a higher number on some
columns of some of your tables will allow you to analyse less
frequently.  That's a good thing just because ANALYSE will impose an
I/O load.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
		--Alexander Hamilton