Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: Getting a move on for 8.2 beta
Date: 2006-09-02 16:07:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Friday 01 September 2006 19:42, Tom Lane wrote:
> Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> > On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> My feeling is that we ought to bounce bitmap indexes and updatable views
> >> as not being ready, accept all the contrib stuff, and try to get the
> >> other items done in time for a beta at, say, the end of next week.
> >
> > For what it's worth, Jie and I hope to have finished the bitmap streaming
> > this weekend which is the only outstanding issue with the code as it
> > currently stands.
>
> AFAIR, you told me "it'll be done this weekend" last week. And the week
> before.
>
> In any case, it's going to be a large complicated patch, and if I spend
> all next week reviewing it then I won't make any progress on the other
> items on my to-do list. At some point we have to say "this has slipped
> too far, we have to hold it over for 8.3".

Perhaps if some other committers would take ownership of other items on
your "to be done list", that would spread the workload enough to keep
everything going? (Yes, this does require some of the other folks to step
up... responses to your original email with "I will commit to finishing this
item this week" would probably be enough)

--
Robert Treat