Re: Prepared statements considered harmful

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Prepared statements considered harmful
Date: 2006-08-31 14:42:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Donnerstag, 31. August 2006 16:09 schrieb Theo Schlossnagle:
> I don't chime in very often, but I do think the refusal to
> incorporate hints into the planner system is fantastically stubborn
> and nonsensical.

What is actually fantastically nonsensical about this is that the issues I
outlined about prepared statements would merely become worse if planner hints
were used. Then, you wouldn't only have to worry about plans that were
created earlier during the session, you would be faced with plans that were
created earlier during the application's development. In general, the
solutions to the prepared statement issues need to effect that the plans are
created more often, not less often.

--
Peter Eisentraut