running PostGres without installing it

From: jesus martinez <jesus_martinez1967(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: running PostGres without installing it
Date: 2006-08-06 04:08:13
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
hello, how are you ?

i want to distribute a copy of PostGres to my clients.
they really dont know anything about installing
programs or
configurating remote RDBMS sql-servers,
so i dont want to give them the
"official-PostGres-installer.exe"
but my own installer.exe (win32) that:

1) install the PostGres's required files
2) modify the system as PostGres needs (registry,
paths, etc)
3) execute it as a process, not as a service (if it is
possible)
(it must run also on win98 machines)
4) enable the server in a port readed from an INI file
or
something like that.
5) delete the default super-user or change its
password
6) creates the tables-structure that my client-app
needs
7a) insert the data or
7b) copy db-files to hdd, assign them in PostGres and
make
them available via PostGres.
8) create the dbuser that will be used by clients-apps
9) assign that dbuser to my tables

all without any kind of user interaction.

- where can i get information about the required
information
(i mean: basic required files, registry changes, conf
files,
sql commands to do what i need) ?

- if this is not possible, may i call the default
PostGre's
installer in silent mode ? and if so, what are the
command-lines
to set the defaults settings ?

- can any of you help me in any of those tasks ?

thanks in advance,

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

pgsql-cygwin by date

Next:From: Reini UrbanDate: 2006-08-06 14:40:54