Re: change tuple before insert

From: <vivek(at)staff(dot)ownmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: change tuple before insert
Date: 2006-08-02 13:43:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Thanks Tom,
   I am planning to use the function:-
HeapTuple SPI_copytuple(HeapTuple row) first and then modify the returned tuple using:-
HeapTuple SPI_modifytuple(Relation rel, HeapTuple row, ncols, colnum, Datum * values, const char * nulls)
But I am stuck here. How do I convert a string into Datum type required for parameter 4 of SPI_modifytuple. I think the datum type is some binary value and I want to insert a string in that coloumn.

With warm regards.

Vivek J. Joshi.

vivek(at)staff(dot)ownmail(dot)com
Trikon electronics Pvt. Ltd.

All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
                -- Ernest Rutherford

Tom Lane wrote:
> ><vivek(at)staff(dot)ownmail(dot)com> writes:
>> How do i change the contents of a tuple for a row level trigger? do i have to
return tg_trigtuple or tg_newtuple? The doc is confusing. it says a tg_newtuple
can only be used in case of an update>

>You should not scribble on either of those.  Make a fresh tuple and
>return that.
>
>			regards, tom lane

pgsql-interfaces by date