Re: Quick Reference Software Guide

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Michael Dean <mdean(at)sourceview(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Quick Reference Software Guide
Date: 2006-06-08 00:14:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 18:19, Michael Dean wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:

> >>I am collecting all of your suggestions, and they are great! Perhaps we
> >>could provide a significance to the Guide Project by following the lead
> >>of several software study guides, which are 6 - 8 x 11 colored sheets
> >>laminated, and folded into thirds (this size doesn't get lost in thrown
> >>away mags). The engineering needs of programmers could be accomodated,
> >>the marketing needs of postgresql could be accomodated, and the
> >>promotional needs of profit-making companies who consistently support
> >>postgresql could be accomodated. Any actual physical content you all
> >>may have to share, please send to me via email at: mdean(at)sourceview(dot)com,
> >>or if a physical specimen, send to: Michael Dean, SourceView
> >>Corporation, 716 Alhambra Ave., Martinez, CA 94553 USA. All materials
> >>received will be treated as "creative commons" materials. Thanks
> >
> >I noticed that barcharts has a "suggest a guide" section. Might it be
> > worth contacting them to see if they would carry a postgresql based
> > guide. We could possibly offer them assistence in design in return for a
> > bulk donation of guides. Thoughts?
>
> we would lose control of all aspects of the process. 1) they require
> assignment of copyright, so everyone is locked in;
> it is their product, including any updates. Totally different model
> than cafepress.

Are we talking across each other? barcharts does the quick study guides...
cafepress does the t-shirts. It's true that if barcharts does it, it's
thier product... but that means it gets done professionally and that it gets
"shelf space" for anyone who goes to thier site looking for a study guide.
Assuming we still get material for conferences, I'm not against commercial
solutions. All IMHO, if others are against the idea, that's fine.

--
Robert Treat