Re: bug in windows xp

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>,Wang Haiyong <wanghaiyong(at)neusoft(dot)com>
Subject: Re: bug in windows xp
Date: 2006-04-08 17:16:39
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-patches
On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 12:27:19PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hmm, it seems to depend on the hardware you're using.  I just tried it
> on four different machines:

<no consistancy whatsoever>

> > A simple C program shows the same. Why isn't it being caught on
> > windows?
>
> That still looks like a failure to trap something we should trap.
> I'd suggest fixing that first, because if we fix int4div first,
> we won't have a simple test case for it.

Well, we should at least add a regression test for this divide thing
since obviously people assumed it was working when it wasn't.

However, would it be possible to add a test_sigfpe() to regress.c that
simply tries to do 1/0. There is appears to be no regression test that
generates a floating-point exception which appears to be a serious
omission. There are any number of ways to force one: ln(0) for example
(hmm, looks like we protect against that). I suppose one floating point
and one integer example should suffice.

Are there any other signals we should be watching for?

Have a nice day,