Re: autovacuum: could not access status of transaction

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Nichlas Löfdahl <crotalus(at)acc(dot)umu(dot)se>
Subject: Re: autovacuum: could not access status of transaction
Date: 2006-03-31 02:01:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 14:21, Nichlas Löfdahl wrote:
> Hello!
>
> PostgreSQL 8.1.1 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>
> I've been running a server with autovacuum enabled for quite a while now
> (months) without problems. But recently the server slowed down and after
> investigation I found the following repeated error messsage in the log:
>
> LOG: autovacuum: processing database "template0"
> ERROR: could not access status of transaction 3541181801
> DETAIL: could not open file "pg_clog/0D31": No such file or directory
>
> I assume that the avac-process halts at this point which means no vacuum
> and/or analyze for the other databases? Which would explain the slowdown.
>
> What is the best way to proceed with this? Stop the postmaster, create a
> zero-filled pg_clog/0D31 and restart?

Sorry, I am not really of any help with this, however I am finding it odd that
this message is occuring while trying to process template0. Have you fuddled
with your system catalogs to make template0 connectable? Else ISTM autovacuum
should never be trying to process template0. Anyone else want to weigh in
here?

--
Robert Treat