Re: Uninstall scripts for contrib

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Uninstall scripts for contrib
Date: 2006-01-19 22:38:43
Lists: pgsql-patches
On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:48:54AM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 07:08:28PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > David Fetter wrote:
> > > It's paper bag time for me.  How about a new patch which gives
> > > each contrib project its own directory and places them there?
> >
> > This would presumably imply that the installation scripts would be
> > renamed to install.sql.  On a green field this might make sense but
> > as it is maybe it would break too much without much benefit?
>
> You're right.  I'll send a patch this evening my time that renames
> each to [module_name]_uninstall.sql.

ISTM there's a pretty good usecase for going per-directory down the
road. IIRC we already decided to do that for doc directories, and now
that we'd have 2 scripts (_install and _uninstall) it seems a good idea
for that as well.

For backwards compatability maybe an install option that also installed
the old-style _install.sql script would be adequate? Perhaps this could
default to on for 8.2, off for 8.3 and gone for 8.4...