Re: Infrastructure monitoring

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, John Hansen <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Infrastructure monitoring
Date: 2006-01-17 00:12:45
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 12:16:25PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> BTW, we already do content monitoring on the actual website mirrors. If
> a mirror does not answer, *or* does not update properly, it will
> automatically be removed from the DNS record, and thus get out of
> "public view" after 10-30 minutes.

And this is how all the services should work, at least from a monitoring
standpoint. If any public service (any of the websites, search,
archives, email, ftp, etc) goes down, multiple people should get pages.
Along those lines, disk space should also be monitored to make sure
nothing fills up.

> What I think would be good in cases like this is just information -
> AFAIK nobody on the web team knew hte servers were being moved. (I may
> be wrong here - I know I didn't know and I also spoke to Dave about it,
> but those are the only ones I polled. Anyway, -www should know)

And info is one of the other keys to keeping things running smoothly...
ISTM any changes in service/outages should certainly be posted someplace
where those monitoring things know what's going on.