Re: SFPUG meetings, schedule for year

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SFPUG meetings, schedule for year
Date: 2006-01-11 02:13:04
Lists: sfpug
On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 04:47:08PM -0800, Reece Hart wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 12:00 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > 8.1 vs. 5.0:  What have we got that MySQL doesn't?   Speakers TBA
>
> I'd like to stress that we (er, at least, I) want an objective
> comparison that's more than just bullet points of what they're
> lacking: we want a feature comparison, one that identifies
> PostgreSQL's advantages and shortcomings as readily as those of
> MySQL.

If there's one thing I've noticed about PostgreSQL people, it's that
any discussion of PostgreSQL quickly comes around to ideas for
features and/or things that chafe.  I think it's this culture that has
helped PostgreSQL become what it is today.

> I picked up postgresql almost 4 years ago, and I remember being
> struck at the time by the extent of overselling of mysql by mysql ab
> and, in contrast, the confident modesty of the postgresql camp.  I
> took both for test spins and grew to distrust mysql's feature list.

They've earned your distrust, and continue to.  Just exactly how, we
can go over in excruciating detail at that meeting :)

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!