Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, kleptog(at)svana(dot)org,simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu, pg(at)rbt(dot)ca,zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and
Date: 2006-01-03 15:45:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 11:24:28AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >> I an horribly scared that this will be used as a "performance boost" for
> >> normal use. I would at least like to see some restrictions that make it
> >> harder to mis-use. Perhaps restrict to superuser?
>
> > Certainly restrict to table owner.
>
> I can see the argument for superuser-only: decisions about data
> integrity tradeoffs should be reserved to the DBA, who is the one who
> will get blamed if the database loses data, no matter how stupid his
> users are.
>
> But I'm not wedded to that.  I could live with table-owner.

I dislike restricting to super-user, and to some extent even table
owner. The reason is that if you have some automated batch process, you
don't want that process running as a superuser. Also, it is often
awkward to require that the user running that batch own the table.

I'd much rather see this as a grantable permission on the table. (The
same is true with truncate, btw). This way, if a DBA knew he could trust
a specific role, he could allow for these operations on a specific
table.