Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Bizgres-general] WAL bypass for INSERT, UPDATE and
Date: 2005-12-26 12:22:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 12:03:27PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> I would not be against such a table-level switch, but the exact
> behaviour would need to be specified more closely before this became a
> TODO item, IMHO.

Well, I think at a per table level is the only sensible level. If a
table isn't logged, neither are the indexes. After an unclean shutdown
the data could be anywhere between OK and rubbish, with no way of
finding out which way.

> If someone has a 100 GB table, they would not appreciate the table being
> truncated if a transaction to load 1 GB of data aborts, forcing recovery
> of the 100 GB table.

Ah, but wouldn't such a large table be partitioned in such a way that
you could have the most recent partition having the loaded data.
Personally, I think these "shared temp tables" have more applications
than meet the eye. I've had systems with cache tables which could be
wiped on boot. Though I think my preference would be to TRUNCATE rather
than DROP on unclean shutdown.

Have a nice day,