Tom Lane wrote:
> Well, more generally what we need is a better match algorithm in
> make_relative_path. After a few moment's thought I propose:
> * Determine the common prefix of the compiled-in target_path and
> bin_path (for typical cases this would be "/usr" or "/usr/local";
> worst case is that the common prefix is just "/"). Call everything
> to the right of the common prefix the "tail" of these paths. The
> currently expected scenario is that the tails are "share" and "bin",
> but there might be more than one directory level in them.
> * Try to match the tail of the bin_path to the end of the actual binary
> location (my_exec_path without the executable's name).
> * If match, take everything to the left of the match in my_exec_path,
> and append the tail of target_path to produce the result.
> * If no match, use target_path as-is, same as now.
> I think this would get right all of the cases the current code gets
> right, and more generally would work when we need to substitute N
> levels of directory names instead of just one. It may still be a
> few bricks shy of a load, however. Any thoughts?
Sounds fine. When I did the original code, I was very conservative
about where I would look in the fear I might hit something strange. Now
that we have used this code in product with little problem, having it be
more aggressive seems logical.
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us
pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us | (610) 359-1001
+ If your life is a hard drive, | 13 Roberts Road
+ Christ can be your backup. | Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073
In response to
pgsql-hackers by date
|Next:||From: Tom Lane||Date: 2005-12-22 03:37:09|
|Subject: Re: catalog corruption bug |
|Previous:||From: Manuel Sugawara||Date: 2005-12-22 03:16:26|
|Subject: to_char and i18n|
pgsql-bugs by date
|Next:||From: Tatsuo Ishii||Date: 2005-12-22 05:11:45|
|Subject: Re: BUG #2120: Crash when doing UTF8<->ISO_8859_8 encoding|
|Previous:||From: Bruce Momjian||Date: 2005-12-22 03:17:30|
|Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #2120: Crash when doing UTF8<->ISO_8859_8 encoding conversion|