Re: Graphics in postgress using GTK

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Anuj Tripathi <anujt(at)it(dot)iitb(dot)ac(dot)in>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Graphics in postgress using GTK
Date: 2005-12-02 11:06:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 04:15:55PM +0530, Anuj Tripathi wrote:
> Hi
> We are trying to implement a progress estiamator for long queries. We
> are trying to make the display graphical using GTK but we get an error
> saying
> Xlib : Connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> xlib : no protocol specified

Err, why on earth would the *backend* need to talk to the X server.
Shouldn't it be sending messages to the client and then the client
making the pics? How do you plan to deal with 10 queries running
simultaneously on a server at the other side of the world. I'm not even
running an X-server on my database server...

Anyway, the database server doesn't have permissions to access the X
server, that's the error.

> Can someone suggest a method to integrate this GTK code into postgres
> and solve this problem.

Umm, don't?

Have a nice day,