Re: Index name different from constraint name

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index name different from constraint name
Date: 2005-10-26 16:14:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> > test=> create table a (
> > test(> b int primary key
> > test(> );
> > NOTICE: CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "a_pkey" for=
> > table "a"
> > CREATE TABLE
> > test=> alter table a rename to c;
> > ALTER TABLE
> > test=> alter index a_pkey rename to c_pkey;
> > ALTER INDEX
>
> Arguably we should forbid ALTER INDEX RENAME on an index that belongs to
> a constraint, and make you rename the constraint instead (and have that
> implicitly change the index name too).

That would work too, though I don't think you can just rename a
constraint. You have to drop/add it, which means dropping and then
adding the index back it looks like, which kind of sucks if it's a big
table (one reason I wasn't just dropping/recreating the table in the
first place). This was on 8.0.3; can you rename constraints w/ 8.1? If
so, and if that's made to implicitly change the index name, I'd be
happy.

Thanks,

Stephen