Re: 7.3.x data migration to 7.4.x - inelegant solution

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com,PostgreSQL Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.3.x data migration to 7.4.x - inelegant solution
Date: 2005-09-13 19:35:03
Lists: pgsql-novice
--- operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

> phppgadmin (my only access to db - cheesy webhost)
> has
> an "export" link that only allows me to...
>
> export data, structure or data and structure (fine
> so
> far, i want data only).
>
> format options are "copy" and "sql".
>
> i can also check "oid" and/or "drop", but i don't
> think either apply to my case since i don't use oids
> as primary keys.
>
> i can download the data or i can download a
> compressed
> copy of the data.
>
> i tried data only and downloaded with the sql
> options.
>
> i plugged this into pgadmin's query view and ran it.
>
> unfortunately, the sql doesn't list the column names
> in the insert statements...  and my columns are not
> all in the same order!  so close...  yet still so
> far....
>
> is there anything i can do here?  i don't think
> pgadmin allows me to reorder columns.  therefore, i
> don't like that approach (deleting and recreating a
> lot of columns and handling all the contrainsts,
> etc...).
>
> i don't fully understand how to restore the output
> of
> the "copy" option.  when i try and restore something
> in pgadmin3, it is looking for a file with extension
> *.backup.  i don't think phppgadmin (as set up on
> cheesy webhost) allows me to create this type of
> file.
>
> any guidance would be appreciated - as always.

my solution, albeit not a nice one - but it works, is
to "export table "data only" with the SQL option in
7.3.x.

i then open it up in OOo writer, to a search and
replace and replace "VALUES" with "(list of columns in
column order) VALUES"

i then paste it into pgadmin's query view, deleate the
notes and extraneous text and run it.

of course, you have to know your relations b/c you
likely won't be allowed to break foreign key
constrainsts.

ugly, yes.  effective, yes.