Re: Time to start the PR machine

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Lance Obermeyer" <LObermey(at)pervasive(dot)com>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, "Robert Bernier" <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Time to start the PR machine
Date: 2005-08-30 22:46:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Lance Obermeyer wrote:
> Oh, so we can, with a reasonably straight face, say something like
> this. "This 1m downloads over the last six months compares to the
> last month of 7.4, which had <x> downloads.

If we had historical logs, which I gather we might not, we could make
claims that a certain release was downloaded N times more often than
another one, which would be an interesting number. But giving out
absolute numbers is just laughable, considering the mirror network, the
redistributors, their mirror networks, and a host of other factors that
make the absolute download numbers from the primary FTP server
completely out of proportion with reality. I would guess that we have
at least 100 times more installations than downloads from the primary
FTP server, factoring out that not every download leads to a unique
installation.

--
Peter Eisentraut