diary constraints

From: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: diary constraints
Date: 2005-08-23 08:33:58
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi folks

I know this has been discussed in the past, but no amount of keywords
has returned anything from the archives.

I want to create a courtesy car diary diary system where I have a table
containing all of the cortesy cars in the pool, and then an allocation
table which has two timestamps, one for the start date/time and one for
the return date/time.

How do I go about creating constraints on inserts and updates to ensure
that

a) the finish is after the start
b) two allocations for a single vehicle don't overlap.
--
Gary Stainburn