Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON
Date: 2005-08-15 17:12:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Jim,

> Has anyone looked at how easy it would be to migrate an application from
> SQLLite to PostgreSQL? I'm asking not because I think we need to try and
> take space away from them, but because a number of sites/projects that
> start out thinking "oh, this will never grow beyond a few users" end up
> in a lot of pain when that assumption is proven false. Livejournal is a
> great example of this. So it would be good if those people had a
> moderately painless means to migrate to PostgreSQL after they out-grew
> what SQLLite has to offer. Perhaps it would be worth trying to work with
> the SQLLite folks on this.

The "SQLite Folks" is actually pretty much just Richard.  He likes PostgreSQL
a lot, and specifically designed SQLite to be compatible with PostgreSQL.
Migrating an app (or dual-DB support) is easy, just ask David Wheeler.

The main thing we could do for SQLite is offer Richard some PR and other
"community" support.  It's a terrific little embedded database that just
needs to have its profile raised.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions